Protege Canine Rescue is a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization; your donations are tax-deductible!
Visit Us On Facebook!
Are you thinking of getting a dog? Have you ever considered rescuing a dog who needs a new home, rather than purchasing a puppy?
Welcome to Protege Canine Rescue! Protege specializes in rescuing and re-homing Australian Shepherds and other select dogs from around Iowa. We rescue Aussies with a wide range of ages, colors, temperaments, and energy levels. If you're looking for an Aussie in the Iowa area, be sure to explore our Available Dogs.
We also rescue a special group of dogs, some Aussies, some other breeds, that we think would make outstanding performance dogs. These high-drive dogs need a lot of exercise and mental stimulation, and while perfect for dog sports, will not be satisfied with a walk around the block!
All our dogs have been assessed for their adaptability and compatability as companions and pets. All are current on vet work and spayed or neutered.
We do not
ship our dogs; you must be willing to travel to meet your prospective new friend. We think you'll find a unique rescue experience with Protege, and hope you'll enjoy meeting our available dogs.
Our dogs have happy-ending stories. We work hard to make the right placement and to make sure your new companion is the best dog for you. Check out this video of one of our former adoptable dogs, Bleu (from the NBC Nightly News in September 2009) -- she's the blue merle Aussie, a rescue dog who's become a star! As her mom Bonnie says, "She always steals the show! She is a VERY photogenic dog ... and VERY smart! She is now being cross-trained for the basketball part of the show with her signature move being a spin before dunking the ball! She loves learning anything new. Like I have said many times before.....she is the absolute perfect dog for us!"
Find out about our application and adoption process, but don't wait until
you see a dog that interests you; fill out a Protege
application now! Then you will be pre-approved when the right dog is available. Email email@example.com in Iowa City with questions or
for more information about any of our dogs.
Temporary Caregivers Needed
We need temporary caregivers to provide a waystation for our dogs. If you might be interested in helping by occasionally
providing a temporary home for a dog, please contact Jayne. Here is our Temporary Caregiver Application. Assisting with rescue work is one of the most rewarding experiences you will have.
You will save a life. Check out a poem below written by 11-year-old Jacqueline about her family's first year providing temporary care for some of Protege's dogs.
Our thanks to these generous donors:
- Disorderly Conduct flyball team made a donation of $100 in memory of Jess's Rico and Jayne & Steve's Zoe. Thanks to great friends and flyball competitors!
- Jo Pearson donated $100 in memory of Jayne McQuillen & Steve Branin's beauty queen, Zoe -- she lived long and prospered! (February 2013).
- Lori Griffith made a donation of $25 to Protege in memory of her friend Jim Suiter's dog Boo (who was a Protege alum). Boo was a long-time loving friend and companion to Jim, and just missed his trip to Florida ... (February 2013)
- Jo and Emily Pearson donated $75 in memory of Peggy and Steve Schilling's fabulous Border Collie (and erstwhile teammate) Sage (January 2013) .
- Judith McPartland donated $100 in memory of Morgan (her first dog) and Gertie (her first Springer) in December 2012.
- Connie and Charles Dyer donated $50 in memory of Rudy (a Protege grad from 10 years ago -- second from left in our bar at the top of the page!) in December 2012.
- Ken and Denise Welsch donated $300 to Protege and appreciate their adopted Protege dogs very much! (December 2012)
- Mary and Ken Lowder donated $500 in continuing gratitude for discovering and adopting Protege's Mia (December 2012).
- RSG Agility made a generous donation in memory of Rilda Fish, who passed away on October 12, 2012.
- Gloria Buonanoma-Budziak, who adopted Protege's Radar almost two years ago, donated $50 to Protege in celebration of Radar's achieveing his Onyx title in flyball! Go Protege dogs!
- Protege has received donations from Roger & Mitzi Pederson, and from Mary & Bob Denton, in memory of Douglas Alan Yount. Thanks for your generosity and for honoring Doug's wishes by helping to save dogs!
- Karen Massey donated $150 when she adopted Protege's Buck; we are so glad you are enjoying your new friend, Karen!
- Protege has received two donations in memory of Douglas Alan Yount, a great dog lover, from Paul and Mila Shirey and from Jacqueline Schneekloth. Thanks to both families for honoring Doug's wishes.
- Jacci & Adam Brandt donated $100 in memory of their dog Hunter. Hunter was the dog who got them involved with flyball and introduced them to many great friends. He was always an enthusiastic competitor, right up to the end, and he's left his entire team with lots of happy memories. Hunter -- always remembered, always loved, always missed. Protege thanks the Brandts for their generosity, friendship, and of course for their love of Hunter.
- Jayne McQuillen & Steve Branin donated $300 in memory of Tori, a great cat, who put up with an enormous number of foster dogs during her life. Tori was often the test cat for Protege foster dogs. Her cool, calm, collected manner baffled many dogs, while her stealthy claws taught them to fear the feline! (December 2011) [All of us with Protege are grateful for Tori's help over the years! We will miss her. --Jo]
- Chuck & Cheryl Peterson donated $25 to thank Protege for the work we do rescuing and adopting Aussies, and particularly to thank us for their Protege alum, Billy, who was adopted earlier this fall. (December 2011)
- Ken & Desise Welsch donated $300; what a fabulous treat at the end of the year! (December 2011)
- Bette Lutes-Konecny of Wichita, Kansas, donated $100. Bette says, "My brother-in-law, sister-in-law, and niece were so pleased with the idea of sending a donation in their name to your organization last Christmas, that I just had to do it again this year. I sent in a donation ... that I'd like posted in their names: Carl, Marilyn, and Karsyn Konecny of Wichita, Kansas. They still have their three four-legged Aussie family, too: Elwood (a black tri-color), Mia (a red), and Denim (a blue merle)." Bette, we hope your family appreciates how wonderful you are! Thanks, from Protege! (12/18/11)
- Mary & Ken Lowder donated $500 to Protege. Mary says, "Mia means the world to me, to both of us, and I want the world to know how grateful we are." (12/14/11)
- Glenn Truitt from Las Vegas, Nevada donated a Thundershirt for us to use with our nervous and anxious dogs. He got the idea from our Facebook page! Good reason to LIKE us, thanks Glenn! (12/13/11)
- Rick & Jana Bachman of Walnut Creek, California (and adopters of Protege's Jordy, now Burley, in 2010) donated two Thundershirts to Protege to use with fearful fosters, what a great idea! Thanks to the Bachmans! (12/13/11)
- A donation was made by Angelic Vetter in memory of Gael, owned by Camille Telleen, Jay, August, Henry & Natasha Franzen. (10/03/11)
- Dave Steinman donated $75 in honor of Tucker, a former program dog (June 2011)
- Disorderly Conduct donated $30 in memory of Joe Acker's fantastic flyball dog Mia (March 2011)
- Liz Drexler donated $50 in memory of Kay Lowe, who helped so many dogs! (February 2011)
- Caroline Nappo donated $25 in honor of her buddy Sampson (February 2011)
- Lola Swervey donated $500 in honor of Libby, the best Protege Alumni ever! (February 2011)
- Jo Ann Schmidman donated $200 to Protege! Jo Ann, you are awesome and Protege thanks you! (12/31/10)
- Sandra and Gerald Eskin, in honor of Gerry, who dearly loves his dog Jackson - $50.00 (12/23/10)
- Bette Lutes-Konecny donated $100 in the names of Carl, Marilyn, and Karsyn Konecny of Wichita, Kansas, a proud 3-Aussie family (Elwood, Mia, and Denim)! Thanks for your generous donation, Bette! (12/16/10)
- Joan Lind and Kathy Andrews donated $100 in honor of Protege Rescue, which "has helped many ... unwanted dogs find a new start in life." (Protege thanks you, ladies! --12/06/10)
- Bekka Borg donated $50 in December 2010.
- Bright Eyes & Bushy Tails donated $50 in July after we participated in their rescue fun day!
- Atwood Environmental Center made a donation in memory of Annie in July 2010.
- Skidmarkz donated money in October 2009 in memory of Laura & Marcus Dallas's dog Amber and of Jo Pearson's dog Ellie.
- Disorderly Conduct donated money in October 2009 in memory of Jo Pearson's dog Ellie.
- Robyn Douglas & Rick Cox donated money in September 2009 in memory of Laura & Marcus Dallas's dog Amber.
- Disorderly Conduct donated money in September 2009 in memory of Laura & Marcus Dallas's dog Amber.
- Skidmarkz Flyball Club donated money in August 2009 in memory of Peggy & Steve Schilling & Jess Bett's dog Sammy.
- Lori & Chris Griffith and Bob & Jackie Johnson made a donation to Protege in August 2009 in Memory of Peggy & Steve Schilling & Jess Bett's dog Sammy
- Miriam Brickman donated money in July 2009 in recognition of our new 501(c)(3) status! Thank you!
- Ken & Denise Welsch donated money in July 2009 in recognition of our new 501(c)(3) status! Thanks Welsches!
- Liz Bernstein & Mac donated money in May 2009 to help a special needs or older Aussie -- thanks Liz!
- Meredith Beck raised $79.95 for Protege Canine Rescue as part of a community service project for her grade school class. Meredith shares her home with Quincy, whom her family adopted from Protege in July of 2008!
- Disorderly Conduct Flyball Club for their donation to Protege,
a condolence for Steve & Jayne in memory of their long-time Aussie friend Ruby!
Ruby was an Aussie rescue dog. (December 2008)
- Disorderly Conduct Flyball Club for their donation to Protege,
a condolence for Emily & Chad in memory of their Aussie pal Arrow!
Arrow was a Protege dog. (November 2008)
- Lisa, Justin, Murphy, Diesel, and Archie for their donation to Protege,
a condolence for Bekka and in memory of her wonderful friend Stealy! (October 2008)
This poem was written in January 2010 by 11-year-old Jacqueline, whose family began providing temporary care for some of Protege's rescue dogs in 2009.
I started with two dogs named Elsie and Foster,
but when Elsie died we thought that we would foster.
We went to the house of a lady named Jo,
she also was fostering doggies, you know.
Before that we had three new cats. One named Rosie,
one was called Anna, who sniffed with her nosie.
There also was one we named Crystal the cat,
but she constantly ate so she soon became fat.
The first dogs we fostered were called Nellie and Sue.
Sue was a good dog so we adopted her too.
We got rid of Nellie and got Bruce instead,
changed his name to Phoenix for his reddish brown head.
We got rid of Phoenix, then someone came by,
said she needed a dogsitter, we didn't ask why.
Her dog was named Sterling; the same type as Sue,
they both were blue merles, and Nellie was, too.
Australian Shepherds were Phoenix and Foster,
and Elsie was also, before when we lost her.
After we gave back Sterling, it was Moedock we got.
Then not too long after - a puppy named Spot.
Spot was a bad dog because he loved to chew.
And sadly for us, he then taught it to Sue.
It was just after Spot, then Athena came 'round,
but she got quite mean, so then she was put down.
Then Raistlan showed up, he was a striped fellow,
He was half Maine coon, so was naturally mellow.
It was right about then that Chaz came to our door.
When we got rid of him we didn't get anymore.
At least not for now, but I'm sure we will soon.
Another blue merle? Another Maine Coon?
For now we have Foster, and Rosie and Sue,
and Crystal and Anna and then Raistlan, too.
Two thousand and nine...I had many pets then.
And I'm sure I'll get more pets in two thousand ten.
©2009 Protege Canine Rescue, a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization - Webmaster Jo Pearson
Protege Canine Rescue Forms:
Want to adopt a dog? - Adoption Application
Do you have a dog you'd like to relinquish to Protege? - Relinquishment Request (PDF version)
Have you arranged to give your dog up to Protege? (unless you have special permission,
you must complete a Relinquishment Request first)- Owner's Release (PDF version)
Have you adopted a dog? Here is our adoption contract - Adoption Agreement (PDF version)